Wednesday, July 11, 2007

How to obtain copies of obits at the Free Library of Philadelphia

Here is some very handy information, for all of you with ancestors in Philadelphia. This information came after a query I did to message board.

It is possible to get obit look ups done at the Free Library of Philadelphia. All you have to do is the following :

Regular Mail:Send a written request with the person's name, date of death (month, day, year) or burial date and a stamped self-addressed envelope. We will only check two newspapers. The cost of photocopying from microfilm is 50 cents per page with a $1.00 minimum. Maximum of 2 obituaries can be requested at one time.
Send request to: Free Library of PhiladelphiaNewspapers & Microfilm Center1901 Vine StreetPhiladelphia PA 19103
***OR***
Email: Send a written request with the person's name, date of death (month, day, year) or burial date. We will only check two newspapers. The cost of photocopying from microfilm is 50 cents per page with a $1.00 minimum. Maximum of 2 obituaries can be requested at one time.Send request to: erefNEWS (at) excen.library.phila.gov

I'am not sure if the Free Library also has Newspapers from other PA counties.
This research does not concern my Carroll family, but rather the Hansens, who is my paternal grandmother's family.
But, I know that when I will find the death dates of my ancestors, John Carroll and his wife Jennie McEntee, I can do the same for them.

Wish me luck , that we may find an obits for them.

Have a nice day and happy researching

No comments: