Names: Andrew Carroll and Catherine( maiden name unknown)
Relation to blog author: Great-great-grandparents
Relation of this couple to my family: Great-great-grandparents to my Jefferds cousins .
Great-great-great-grandparents to their children.
Summary of important facts:
Location of family : New Castle, Schuylkill County, PA in 1860 & 1870 .
Shenandoah , Schuylkill County in 1880 .
Andrew Carroll- born somewhere between 1818-1827; deceased after 1880 .Born in Ireland. Coal miner .
Catherine - born towards 1835; deceased after 1880 . Born in Ireland .
1) Patrick - born towards 1855; died ?. Slate picker in 1870;
2) James - born towards 1858; died ?. Slate picker in 1870. Miner in 1880 .
3) John - born 15 August, 1860 ; died before 1919, Philadelphia.
Laborer in 1880; Railroader in 1886 and up to his death .
4) Mary Ann- born towards 1863; died ? . Taylor in 1880 .
5) Thomas - born towards 1865 ; died ? . Slate picker in 1880 .
6) Martin - born towards 1867;died ? . Slate picker in 1880 .
7) Elizabeth - born towards 1867 ; died ?.
8) Catherine - born towards 1870; died ? .
Sources: U.S. Census returns for 1860,1870, ( on Heritage Quest).
A very special Thank you to Kay Keating for acessing these returns for me !
Note: On 1860 Census, the family name is spelled CARROL ;
On the 1870 Census,the family name is spelled CARL.
Keep these spellings in mind if you want to find these documents on line.
Finally, the 1880 Census came fom ancestry.com . No problem there; our name is spelled as usual !!
Questions that are still unanswered :
- From where in Ireland do Andrew & Catherine come from ??
- Where in Schuylkill County PA were they married ?? I'am trying to find the parish where they were wed. So far, no luck .
- When did Andrew & Catherine die ?
If anyone can help me with this family, Please write me a comment and drop me your e-mail address .
Let me know also if you think that this Carroll family may be yours. With 8 Carroll children, there could be countless cousins out there.
Thank you in advance !